Boathouse Class Of 1914

Location

5 Memorial Parkway
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1447

The Rutgers Boating Association, which was founded in 1867, was first housed in a converted canal boat chained to the Albany Street bridge. A more permanent home was built on the Raritan River in 1870, but a storm 12 years later washed the boathouse away. Around 1933, a barge was purchased from the Central Railroad of New Jersey and used to house rowing equipment. It too was lost after a raging torrent flooded the Raritan. The current building near the old Delaware and Raritan Canal lock was built in 1950 and is a gift of the Class of 1914. An addition was added in 1961 and today it houses 20 boats, each fitting eight Rutgers crew members.

Offices: 
Intercollegiate Athletics
Building number: 
7502
Campus: 
Douglass