Russell Apartments were erected in 1962. They were named for Walter C. Russell. Russell was born on Oct. 1, 1892, at Bellaire, Ohio; died Mar. 10, 1954, at Metuchen, N.J.; B.Sc. (Ohio Wesleyan University, 1923), Ph.D. (University of Chicago, 1927); became the Head of the Rutgers Department of Agricultural Biochemistry in 1925; appointed Executive Secratary of the Graduate Faculty, 1935; And he was the Dean of the Graduate School, 1952-54. Source: Catalogue of Buildings and Place Names at Rutgers.